Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Time to Pick a Winner for the Upcyclers Team May Creativity Challenge.

This month I was choosen as the judge of the upcyclers team creativity challenge. The medium I chose for the group to upcycle was plastic coffee cans or creamer containers. I have to admit my reasons were a little selfish, as my house is overflowing with these. I also know so many other coffee lovers I figured these would be easy to find. I was just dying to see what everyone came up with. The group is full of so many creative people. I am always amazed at the items this group creates.

You can learn more about the group here... http://love2upcycle.blogspot.com/

Well, the entries are in! This group did not disapoint! Such fantastic ideas from the pretty and practical to the wow! wow! How did you ever come up with such a great idea?

Here are this months entries. Now the problem is picking just two.


Here is my entry although I'm not including it in the judging.

What do you think? Which two would you choose?
Thanks for stopping by! I hope this inspired an upcycled project for you!

Monday, May 20, 2013

Upcyclers Creativity Challenge for May. DIY Birdbath Planter.

As most of you know I am part of a team on Etsy called Upcyclers. I’m sure you have seen some of my entries from past monthly challenges. I am thrilled to have been chosen to be the judge for May’s challenge. The medium I chose to be upcycled was plastic coffee cans or creamer containers…really any plastic container will do. I had a bit of a selfish reason for choosing this item as my house is overflowing with them….ahhh coffee!
I found a cool birdbath on Pinterest that had used clay pots and a light cover. For the challenge I substituted with painted coffee cans and used one of my fused glass bowls. The project was really easy and the materials few and inexpensive. 6 Plastic coffee cans, spray paint, 5' concrete rebar ( bought a scrap piece at Home Depo for $ 0.99), a plastic bowl or light cover.  

Here is a link to the site...

The original used 6, instead I used 5, one of my bowls, and copper wire recycled from an electrical cord.
I also chose a textured paint to try and hide the logo. It covered well although the hammered texture of the paint seemed to level out some. I cut an x in the bottoms.

I drove the rebar into the ground and put on my first can at an angle and supported it with rocks and just kept adding cans.

I found out the hard way...you want to fill them with dirt as you go.

I chose to use one of my fused glass bowls. They are a bit heavy and I could just imagine a squirrel knocking it down. I wired it on to the rebar with heavy gauge copper from an old electrical cord. It is still a little wobbly so I am going to weld on a vase camp from and old lamp to set the bowl in and then wire it.

It was a fun project and I got to use quite a few cans. I am very happy with it! It has added a nice splash of height and color to my garden and the birds love it! I can't wait to see how it looks when the flowers fill in.

Hope this all inspires you to get out and create!
Happy Upcycled Garden All!